Thursday, April 17, 2008

Montara Mtn.


Self portrait
Originally uploaded by maisnon
Training has often been a losing battle: the more time I spend outside, the worse my allergies are. (And they are AWFUL this year.) Actually, as I discovered on Saturday, it is more like a vicious cycle. The longer I'm outside, the worse my allergies are, so I take allergy meds .... which sap me of the will to live. (Okay, they just make me tired and jittery at the same time.)

Last week, I decided enough was enough and saw an acupuncturist. She performed her magic, made some diet suggestions, and gave me some herbal meds to try. I woke up Saturday morning after having slept through the night for the first time in weeks, if not months. And hiking, especially uphill, was so so much better than usual. So phenomenal, I only wish I had tried this sooner! (If you're looking for an acupuncturist in the city, let me know!)

The hike itself: gorgeous! Pacifica is usually foggy and overcast, but Saturday blazed brightly and it was warm, if not HOT at the START. As always, I think the better weather put everyone in a great mood. We charged up North Peak and found some absolutely glorious, unobstructed views. I managed to forget my hat, but thankfully remembered my prescription sunglasses - it would have been a rather painful hike without them!

I know I've said it before, but I can't say it often enough - THANGGOD for my hiking poles! I know I was a little unsure at first, and didn't take to them right away, but I am SO glad that I purchased them. A lot of the trail was super rocky/eroded. This is difficult enough going uphill (and the poles help with that), but it is treacherous and scary coming downhill (and the poles completely saved me a few times coming down!) Again, RECOMMEND!

This was probably my favorite hike so far: close, beautiful, and great weather! I drove home after our 5 hours feeling like I'd already accomplished a lot with my Saturday.

2 comments:

thayirsadamwala said...

I love hiking and I really enjoy reading this blog.

If you don't mind me asking, which trail did you do in Montara Mountain?

Thank You So much.

wt said...

The hiking poles saved you a few times? You mean, from like, death?